Monday, January 2, 2012

One Minute with Nature: Cicada's Summer Song



New Year's Day started out warm - at last. It has been one of the coldest summers anyone can remember. Insects have been low key so it was a delight to find them calling from above my head, as I headed out on my first exploratory bushwalk of the year. This late in the summer Green Grocer cicadas should have been finished but they were still singing their little hearts out. 

I don't have a photo of a Green Grocer in my collection and I must correct that omission. But how am I going to get one down from those high tree tops in order to photograph it? Stay in touch to see how I go. In the meantime, here's a photo of a Floury Baker cicada which landed in my garden a few days ago. This guy's call was a sweet little chirp unlike that of the deafening Green Grocer.

2 comments:

Kate Moore said...

I have to confess, mine fell out of the tree: http://katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/sounds-of-summer.html

Esther Beaton said...

I wish I had come across even that one! I never did find a live one all summer. Ah well, next year....